Estimated read time: 5 mins
What is a Google Ads Grant?
If you’re a nonprofit, Google will give you $10,000 USD of in-kind advertising spend each month to reach your goals.
Your objectives will vary. They could be things like:
- Generating revenue or donations
- Increasing volunteer numbers
- Supporting your fundraising efforts
- Raising awareness of your brand or service
Whatever it is that supports your overall mission, a Google Ads Grant will go a long way to helping you. You will be reaching the right people at the right time, as they search for your nonprofit or services on Google.
Google has a variety of success stories from the grant. Some of the most famous include the nationwide campaign run by the Samaritans, who saw 1,700 volunteer sign ups and 10% online donations in one year, and Fuse School, who reported a 73% website traffic increase.
These case studies demonstrate the real impact a Google Ads Grant campaign can have for both small and large organisations. But are you eligible?
Google Ad Grants is part of the Google for Nonprofits programme. To qualify for a Google Ads Grant, your organisation must:
- Be based in a country where a Google Ads Grant is available
- Begin by applying to Google for Nonprofits
- Get a TechSoup validation token (filled in by the Charity)
- Hold valid charity status. Please see the Google for Nonprofits site for definitions of charity status
- Acknowledge and agree to Google’s required certifications regarding non-discrimination and donation receipt and use
- Have a live website with substantial content
There are two parts to the activation of the Google Ads Grant:
- Part 1: Pre-Qualification Survey and Google Ads Account creation
- Part 2: Create the campaigns in your account
Once you have completed both parts, you’re ready to submit your account for review. If it comes back unsuccessful, you have the opportunity to revise the issues for future reviews.
More information on how to set up your account can be found here.
Policies, Guidelines & Requirements
- Have mission-based campaigns
- High quality website
- Active Account Management
- Your ads will be entirely text-based (no videos or images)
- They’ll appear only on Google search results pages
- All campaigns must be keyword-targeted (no single keywords in an ad group as these will be too broad)
- You’ll receive $10,000 USD of in-kind Google Ads advertising each month
- Maintain 5%+ Click Through Rate (CTR)
- Keyword Quality Score above 3
So there you have it. It may seem like a long process, but in the long run, it’s definitely worth it. And if you’re a nonprofit who doesn’t have the time to implement this, or doesn’t know where to start, please email us and we’d be happy to advise.