Direct Line Group’s goal has always been to put the customer first. This began with car insurance, cutting out the middleman, the forms and the jargon – revolutionary changes at the time. Now one of the UK’s leading insurers, they also provide home, pet, travel, life, van, landlord and business insurance for millions of customers.
Attracting new policyholders is especially tough in the insurance sector. Many competitors are vying directly for attention, including powerful price comparison websites and competitors with large budgets for paid advertising. This makes achieving strong organic search rankings extra important for Direct Line. We partner with them to help across a range of product lines, including life, pet and business insurance.
Following on from our success in 2019 for the term “business insurance” in which we are able to increase rankings from 10th to 1st and reduce PPC spend by £100,000, one of the key areas Direct Line for Business wanted to focus on growing in 2020 was public liability insurance. By improving organic performance, they also hoped to reduce their spend on PPC here and reinvest in other areas.
Page level focused changes on the Public Liability insurance page:
- Increasing the topic coverage on the public liability insurance product page by answering key informational questions to match user intent.
- Testing use of click-to-expand containers and where priority content is positioned on the page in order to make structural improvements and improve relevancy signals.
- Resolving cannibalisation issues where multiple pages were competing to rank for the same terms and negatively impacting the performance of the main product page.
- Created custom Schema markup for the page using Financial Product schema.
- Internal linking review to optimise anchor text signals pointing to the public liability page from home page and other related pages.
Sitewide changes to improve the overall quality and trust signals:
- Backlink optimisation to repoint homepage links to more relevant internal pages in order to redistribute link value.
- Utilised other Direct Line Group websites and content to increase signals to core product pages on the Direct Line for Business website.
- Audited the supporting content for product pages and blog content to improve, consolidate and delete content where applicable to improve the overall quality threshold of content for the site.
- Ensured all product pages were optimised for the key terms users search for.
- Reviewed the site against the quality raters guidelines to identify key trust signals that could be improved.
- Finally, we optimised each product for featured snippets, adding content and reformatting existing answers on the page to acquire the answer boxes.
An increase in ranking, traffic and sales
Combined, the optimisations we made increased Direct Line’s organic ranking performance for public liability insurance. For July 2020 we were able to realise:
- 50% year-on-year increase in traffic
- 399% year-on-year increase in quotes
- 491% year-on-year increase in sales
This was driven off the back of ranking for “public liability insurance” which increased from 10th (second page) to 4th as well as ranking improvements for key related terms. There is still work to do to break into the top three and make a bigger impact on the business.
“Simply the best agency I came across – I worked for some and with many others. Very experienced and professional team going above and beyond and focusing on the right things. Highly recommended for anyone who struggles with their SEO.” Martyna Sroka, Direct Line for Business
To discuss how we can help your business, call us on 01892 320800, email firstname.lastname@example.org or click below to complete our simple contact form and we’ll be in touch.